Pages

January 12, 2014

Twitter Tip: Adding Yourself to a List

I'm not sure how often I'll be able to post in this blog as the semester gets started, but I had to look up a tip to remind myself how to do something at Twitter today - adding myself to my own Twitter list - so I thought I would write up a note here so that next time I'll know what I'm doing.

Lists are key to how I use Twitter; thanks to using lists of programs and people at my school, I've discovered that Twitter is a really useful addition to my daily routine. The lists can be shared, too, which I really like. But here's the thing: just using the regular Twitter interface, you cannot add yourself to a Twitter list. For my own viewing, of course, I don't need to be on my own lists, but because the lists are shared and can even be subscribed to, it makes sense to get myself on the list of people at my school. So, here's how to do that:
  • Get a Tweetdeck.com account. (I probably should be using Tweetdeck anyway, but I just don't spend that much time at Twitter.)
  • Log in at Tweetdeck, and then click the Lists button (near the bottom of the left-hand sidebar). Click on the list you want to work on, and then click the Edit button. 
  • Put your own Twitter handle into the search box, and then when you see your profile pop up in the left-hand sidebar, click on the plus button.
That's it! Easy-peasy. I learned about this add Townsville Social Media - for screenshots and more details, see their helpful post: How to add yourself to a Twitter List you created.

And here's my current list of University of Oklahoma faculty and staff that I've found at Twitter. I was able to add some new people thanks to the Tech Expo's Twitter backchannel on Friday. Whoo-hoo!